Thursday, July 2, 2009

Photo Lab: Your Local Art Scene

DC Art-O-Matic: Weirdoes Welcome

This show was advertised in the papers and promised to buzz the mind with 8 floors of visually stimulating art. So, I had to heave my hind there. Below is a sampling of the weird and freaky that dominated the scene.


self portrait
me trying to capture the scene. the light was dismal, one of those days when the Light sat at dawn and refused to take on any more color.

Titsperverts

Titsperverts. Recreant piece that obviously flaunts its rebel flag high. Titspervert - Mr. Fitzherbert whom Bridget Jones in Bridget Jones' Diary always remembered at Mr. Titspervert because he always stared at hers...
jesus comes in a box

Jesus comes in box. I enjoyed this renegade painting. Laughed out loud. The expression on the child's face is priceless.

Trolls on Camels
trolls on camels. I got an Arabian fantasy vibe but the lifeless grins of the trolls killed it.


Baby doll
Title: "Where to invest for Growth" by T´Kes Guerilla Art Foundation...Besides the sadistic nature of this picture, I was confused by its title. If you didn't catch it, that's a gun pointed at the baby's head.


abortion clinic
Title: Abortion Clinic. By Baxter Studio, Art from Trash. I thought perhaps this piece was about child safety as they can suffocate if they are allowed to play with plastic.

Mary had a little lamb
While at the show, a stranger walked up to me and said, "I just love this piece; both the texture and the composition. "It reminds me of Mary Had a Little Lamb," quoth I, who knows less than a speck of art theory. I think she had hoped for a more profound repartee.

redistricting
The Redistricting Project melded old and new photographs of particular DC localities to make a kind of flashback composite. Very cool. See more about it www.jts-art.com/redistricting.html

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails