Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bitchin': You Will Never Get Enough

...of what you don’t want

I was reading Huffington Post and came across an
article in the Living section. Sometimes, they are thought-provoking, sometimes not. This article was part of a series on why “positive thinking” does not work...

At the time, I could not seem to get satisfied with anything in my life. I would brainstorm, gut out all my ideas about my dissatisfaction. I would brainstorm y in a journal or as suggested for optimum creativity, on a board-- just throwing out all ideas and letting them branch into new ideas. Every two weeks, I would have a meltdown and have to start over. The last “plan” had not been quite right. I needed to tweek it. Eventually, my optimism would dwindle and into the dingle of despair I would drift.

All the while, one sentence from that article haunted me: You will never get enough of what you don’t want. The problem was not “the plan” or how I brainstorming.

With each plan I sought to “improve” whatever the difficult thing, situation, etc that faced me. But, I was improving situations I did not want at all, relationships I did not cherish, things I did not want to keep. And, I took on things I was not sure would give me satisfaction.

I remember being completely intrigued by Kim Clijsters during the US Open games after seeing an interview with her. She said, 'When I was invited, I asked myself if I wanted to do it. I gave it a few days to see if the desire remained or passed with time. And when I said yes, I will, I asked what is the best I can realistically hope for and will that be enough for me in the end.'

A situation you do not want will never be enough for you, regardless of how good it becomes. If you do not like to sew, even if you become the most renowned designer in the world, you will not be satisfied. Sounds simple but how many times have you bought three things you kinda wanted instead of the one thing that would have given you bliss? How many times have you indulged friendships that did not make you happy because you were afraid of being alone? How many times have you said "yes" when you'd rather have all your molars removed sans anesthesia? (I had them removed with anesthia, painful!)

if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be. - Joseph Campbell

P.S: Did you get your Red Baloon today ?


ballon rouge

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails